Niche and not so niche magazines covering many of the UK’s favourite pastimes. Only the most respected titles in their field make the grade for Mags Direct!
BBC History Classic Stories (5)
BBC History Collectors Edition (4)
BBC Wildlife (8)
BBC World Histories (3)
Bird Watching (7)
Model Rail (16)
Practical Fishkeeping (4)
Practical Photography (7)
Steam Railway (6)
Your Horse (2)
BBC History – The Collector’s Edition: The Story of the Holy Land£9.99
In this BBC History Collector’s Edition Issue -The story of The Holy Land – you’ll find three main categories:
- Land Of The Ancients
- Land Of Faith
- Land Of War
Land Of The Ancients:
- Canaan and the Canaanites – Jonathan Tubb examines the evidence to reveal what is known of the Canaanite culture.
- Digging for the Bible – Aren Maeir on 10 key discoveries from the Holy Land and how they relate to the Old Testament
- The Land Of Jesus – John Curran offers a snapshot of life in Judea around the time of Jesus
- Treasure of the Holy Land – Dan Savery Raz picks 10 of the most inspiring and extraordinary historic sites from the region
Land Of Faith
- The Crescent and the Sword – Andrew Marsham assesses the impact of the Islamic conquests of the Holy Land
- Traders and Crusaders – Thomas Asbridge analyses the complexity of the Muslim/Christian relations in medieval times
- Jerusalem: Blood & Gold – Simon Sebag Montefiore explains why the Holy City has been beset by violence for centuries
- The Rise of Zionism – Sara Yael Hirschhorn traces the movements to establish a Jewish homeland in Palestine
Land Of War
- Clash of Empires – Eugene Rogan reveals how the British and the Ottomans battled for Palestine during the First World War
- The Next Imperial Frontier – Jacob Norris explains how Britain’s administration of Palestine, formalised by the British Mandate, led to deep divisions
- Revolt & Rebellion – Charles Townsend chronicles a bloody Palestinian uprising against the British Mandate between 1936 and 1939
- The Six-Day War – The Arab-Israeli Six-Day War of 1967 was, as Mathew Hughes explains, nothing short of a political and military earthquake
- A Brilliant Rescue? – The Israeli raid on Entebbe set out to liberate hostages held by Palestinian and German hijackers. Saul David recalls the summer of ’76
Steam Railway Issue 468£4.25
It’s packed with features celebrating the past, present and future of all things Southern, with first-hand accounts of the final days of the Bulleid ‘Pacifics’, the latest on the Swanage Railway, a scheme to ‘unrebuild’ a ‘Merchant Navy’ and the future revival of the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway.
Editor Nick Brodrick has an in-depth interview with the National Railway Museum’s head curator – Andrew McLean – discussing the sensitive issue of disposals in the wake of the gifting of the ‘T3’ to Swanage.
You can also read part two of our EXCLUSIVE interview with the Network Rail Chairman, Sir Peter Hendy, and how the ‘big railway’ plans to co-operate more closely with the preservation scene.
Elsewhere, we reveal that another NRM steam disposal is on the cards, Tyseley plans double-headed ‘Castles’ in 2018, and an update on the overhaul of Princess Elizabeth.
You can read all this and more in the latest edition of Steam Railway – the world’s biggest-selling steam magazine.
Practical Photography July 2017£5.49
The July issue of Practical Photography includes 12 free gifts, 60 minutes of new videos and 164 pages of stunning images, expert advice and in-depth reviews…
12 free gifts
Get 8 exclusive tips cards, 25% off SRB ND1000 filters, a 32-page image-editing magazine packed with Photoshop, Elements and Lightroom step-by-steps, our exclusive Colour Effects Pack for Photoshop, and much more.
Learn how to create movement
Whether you’re shooting stormy seascapes or a busy urban street, there’s no better way to inject energy into your shots than with a hint of movement. Our 14-page guide explores four techniques that will give your shots a strong sense of motion.
Discover the art of water
We’ve curated three innovative projects that celebrate the diverse nature of water, from mysterious bathtub portraits and inky abstracts to spectacular underwater pond life.
Add copyright info and watermarks in Lightroom, colour pop in style, create a striking sketch effect, learn to focus stack for maximum sharpness, and discover a trio of nifty Photoshop hacks.
Camera School – Module 3
The latest instalment of our free camera skills course takes a closer look at floral portraits and how wide apertures and wide focal lengths can be used together to create a sense of location. Sign up here.
Get into gear
Read our in-depth review of Canon’s new 800D, get hands-on with Hasselblad’s 50C mirrorless medium-format, discover the seven best Photoshop alternatives, and choose from five brilliant underwater compacts.
Bird Watching July 2017£4.30
Our latest issue reveals the dark side of the Swallow, highlights a surprising aspect of the Stonechat and explains how you can still get involved in our popular #My200BirdYear challenge.
It also looks at how farmed land can affect a Barn Owl’s hunting ability, discovers lots of endemic and exotic birds in Madagascar and explains how a birding trip to Derby is not just about seeing its famous Peregrines – there are lots of other species, too!
We all know that climate change, sadly, will have a negative effect on some birds but did you know that warmer temperatures are also encouraging other species to stay in the UK longer and breed, we tell you which ones.
Plus, we put Swarovski’s BTX scope to the test, you could win a sleepout kit worth more than £500, we profile Scottish birding pioneer Alexander Wilson and provide a comprehensive round-up of the rare birds seen on your patch during April.
Practical Fishkeeping July ’17£4.40
In the latest issue of Practical Fishkeeping discover exactly why you need fascinating Angelfish in your life; we visit a reader's jaw-dropping Borneo inspired tank and Gabor Horvath gives advise on how to be a betta breeder.
PLUS keep the intelligent, beautiful and streetwise hogfish, low labour pond ideas, holiday feeding advice and much more!
- out of stock
BBC Wildlife June 2017£4.25
In this issue:
Springwatch special: Water vole heaven – How the UK’s industrial canals became secret wildlife corridors
India’s big idea: Why texting helps people and elephants live in harmony
Step-by-step tips to making the perfect wildflower meadow
Hidden Britain: The tiny spider you can never sneak up on
Monkey Mountain: The langur species that survived the Vietnam War
Wild Bison: Will becoming a burger save the big bovids?
Plus: How smart are crows? What’s canned hunting? Ecuador’s weird minibeasts
WIN! A luxury stay in Ashdown Forest
Model Rail July 2017 No.236£4.10
In this issue:
43 best buys to transform YOUR layout
- Save time
- Increase realism
- Add fun
REVIEWED: Roco ‘S160’ – Heljan’s giant ‘Peak’
- Miniature street lights – rated, reviewed and how to fit them
- Bullhead track – which is best?
- Install a working level crossing – In less than 2 hours!
WIN! A Bachmann SCC system worth 3349!
Your Horse July 2017 – Issue 427£3.99
In this issue:
- 10 Easy ways to bond with your horse
- Ride with confidence – Simple techniques to help you: Manage Spooking; Remember your dressage test; Stay calm at competitions; Cope when things go wrong
- Win tickets to Your Horse Live – take 3 friends with you & meet Charlotte Dujardin
- Inside the Equine brain. We investigate memory, tumours and dementia
- The ultimate guide to laminitis – triggers, treatment, feeding and more
- Protect your horse from strangles
- Perfect your hand position
- Go Affiliated – we show you how and why!
- Expert advice- improve your jumping with poles, what you can learn from Western, Hack safely in a group
BBC World Histories Issue 4£6.99
In this issue:
Is Africa a prisoner of its past? Experts debate the legacy of slavery, war & empire.
Spanish Flu- The pandemic that changed the world
History’s great lost cities
Resisting Mussolini – The fate of Italy’s anti-Fascists
A 15th-Century tour of Spain
Is Globalisation dead?
Steam Railway Issue 467£4.25
In this issue:
REVEALED: Steam’s main line future
EXCLUSIVE interview with Network Rail Chairman Hendy
Unveiled: The ‘secret’ GWR collection
BIG 1968 farewell for Oliver CromwellI
Union’s final countdown… where to see Cameron’s ‘A4’ this summer
York’s 4-4-0 giveaway
Why the ‘T3’ but not the Japanese bullet train?
Model Rail’s Great British Model Railways 2017 No.5£4.99
Celebrate the skill, imagination and craftmanship of Britain’s best railway modellers in this superb new 131-page publication. Great British Model Railways is packed with inspiration for modellers for all ages and abilities
– Inspirational modelling
– Superb photography
– Great ideas to help your own project
BBC Wildlife May 2017£4.25
In this issue:
US/Mexico wall: How will the wildlife cope with segregation?
Coral Triangle: How come this ocean wonder is so important?
Chimp rescue: Three ways we can change their fortunes
Conservation in action: The people who believe orangutans are family
Grey seals: Where on Earth can you shake hands with one?
Great Tits: Little birds that punch above their weight
Chris Packham muses on spring in his moving column
- Angling magazines (24)
- Children's magazines (30)
- Classic Car Magazines (32)
- Craft Magazines (139)
- Cycling magazines (10)
- Entertainment (29)
- Gardening Magazines (22)
- Hobbies (68)
- Lifestyle (37)
- Motorcycling (44)
- Motoring (63)
- Science & Technology (17)
- Sport (26)
- Sports Programmes (5)
- Travel (9)
- Walking & Outdoors (25)
- Wedding magazines (12)